Recent Works

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Naptural Hair poetry for the soul!



Cosmotolocaptivity


Took a decade
Of dead hair styling
To know I'd never learn
The pressing comb
The curling iron
The mastering
Of the perm
See, I remember times
I wouldn't leave my home
"Girl, why you ain't going?"
"Humph, cuz
My hair ain't combed!"
It wasn't going to be combed
It just wasn't going to be
So, today I stand before you
Contented as NAPPY
Nappy cuz I like it
I like the way it feels
Nappy cuz it's nap-tural
Nappy cuz it's real
See, it's mine
I ain't bought it
Learn to appreciate it
Through self consciousness
There ain't very much
At the beauty shop
I can say I've missed
So, my hair is nappy
I'm Happy & I'm free!
From my hot pursuit
Of no lye lying products
My Cosmotolocaptiviy
Yea, I got nappy edges
Got a nappy kitchen
Running front to back
I need not schedule myself
For no touch up
Cuz natures covered that
Can I touch it?
Do you wash it?
How you get your hair
To do that?
Don't ask me
How I've done it
I just blame it on the nap
When my man
Is running his hands
All through my nappy fro
We just laugh
When fingers get caught up
Cuz, it ain't like we didn't know
Soul sistahs
Break that every other week habit
You know you can't afford
W hen they ask you why
Just sigh
And say
"Cuz I don't comb anymore!"
Brothers tell your barber
You'll be passing on that trim
Asked why Your reply can be
"I'm letting the loc journey begin.."

You see
You too can be hair happy
I know y’all nappy underneath
So free your mind
your hair
yourself
From your
Cosmotolcaptivity!


Nappy Roots


Relaxer dark-n-lovely a stylish
statement is a flagrant stance on
being you but what’s the truth?
Among the ridicule I will smile and
continue to profile my weave in which
You say I deceive who I am!
With a list of cultural styles all
the while I can never deny being
God’s Child my kinky nappy roots
that seep through the beauty enhancement




of being me but what’s the truth?
The truth being I harbor no complex Issues
about my natural state naturally thin and
hardly any hair is the way my locks sway
Skimpy in the wind has nothing to do
With the color of my skin but the choice I make
Just being me I like seeing hair that’s there
the way eyes use to look
at my Afro puffs and pick
that stood up singing Watu Wa Zuri
Black is beautiful but what’s the truth
Now it’s the creativity that transcends
through the look I can achieve
with red, brown or even
golden blonde weave
Whatever I pursue only my hairdresser
knows for sure what necessitates
these naturally rolled roots tucked
under a slick trick of weave that
you perceive but it’s to suit
no one but me and that’s
truth of what you seek ..
I am just being me…




Good Hair Bad Hair

Now what does it mean, to have some good hair
Is it hair that is better, never needs no repair
And what does it mean, to have some bad hair
Is it always the hair, that needs some repairs
Good hair and bad hair, what does all this mean
Is this all just some myths, or something we dream

Please tell us my sistahs, why is Afrikan hair bad
It started from childhood, oh how dreadfully sad
The torture, the heat , the burns, and the jerks
Everythang was tried, to see what would work

Now hair comes in textures, not good bad like grades
Has none’n to do with grades, how we have been played
We want “good” hair, that’s what Black women say
But Black women have “good” hair, don’t wish it away

So what my sistahs, does "good" hair really mean
Its hair that is healthy, at its best and its clean
Get “bad” hair out, of your vocabulary and mind
Cuz its time for a new attitude, that you should define

Black women should define, their “own” beauty that’s good
And change their ideals, from adults back to their childhood
Caucasian beauty, is not beauty to enshrine
Our lips, hips and skin, are much more defined
Why crave the Caucasian’s standards, that are vastly well known
When our own natural beauty, has vitality and life of its own

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More